Mobile industry expert and e-business pioneer with proven performance in marketing/product management, business development and sales engineering for multi-national organizations and startups:
- Helped start business and operations for Opera Software as VP of Business Development and Sales Engineering, Americas
- Helped establish Starscriber's next generation behavior based VAS service in emerging operator markets as VP of Marketing
- 7 years of experience as a management consultant with KPMG and mm1 Consulting in international engagements covering strategy, business models, product management, IT and process optimization
- Strong history of establishing solid commercial and technical customer relationships and closing multi-million dollar deals
- 20 years of experience in IT & mobile technologies and business environments
- Master & Bachelor of Science in Physics
- Master of Science in Business Administration (academic scholarship)
- Projects: Managed international projects in tier-1 operators and large organizations
- Wireless: Radio access, data services via wireless, e.g. browsing, email, messaging, portal & delivery
- Operating systems: Microsoft Windows, Linux, Solaris
- Networking: Planning, configuration & installation of LAN & WAN technologies
- Programming: Web and mobile standards incl. HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, VB, VBA
- English: Fluently written and spoken
- German: Native
Established new global Digital Marketing player originating from two acquisitions by Private Equity firm:
Developed & implemented new product strategy
- Ensuring continuous innovation while unifying the product portfolio and
- Addressing imminent market demand with a differentiated offering
- Introduced operational changes and met objectives for operational efficiency and innovation speed
- Managed global operations: Product Management for 8 development teams, Product Marketing and UX
Helped set up company, designed product and cloud service.
Established new generation of behavior based VAS services; managed product lifecycle; developed business & product strategies:
- Significantly increased revenue potential through the introduction of new financial services and marketing products and by participating in subscriber revenue streams multiple times, e.g. account recharge, B2C loan, P2P loan/gift, digital purchase, callback
- Enabled deeper account penetration by leveraging available "big data" subscriber behavior and status information to create additional value
- Negotiated vendor contracts and managed supply chain resulting in increased profitability
- Developed product strategy, business cases, sales material, competitive response, product specification and market communication
Helped establish WIMM as wearable platform industry leader:
- Managed business & technical relations with 45+ telco, consumer electronics, fitness, healthcare industry and distribution customers, e.g. AT&T
- Developed sales material, competitive analyses and Android application demos
Developed business & product strategies and established global customer relationships:
- Implemented the B2C monetization strategy resulting in 30+ million app installations and serving as main revenue driver: established and managed ad, search and content partner relationships, incl. Google, Facebook, GetJar, Yandex
- Developed business strategy & financial model and successfully pitched to venture capitalist
- Established and managed business & technical sales with 35+ operators, OEMs and chipset manufacturers with initial focus on emerging markets, incl. Bakrie Telecom, Telkomsel, Telefonica, Huawei, Haier, MStar, Metrotech
- Invented unique product features, led product design and specification for the Android browser and improved usability of existing products, which was well received by customers and the user community
Established business in the Americas and led the Sales Engineering team:
- Initiated and managed business & technical relations and closed multi-million dollar opportunities with operators, handset OEMs and chipset manufacturers, incl. AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, T-Mobile, Time Warner, U.S. Cellular, Alltel, Bell Canada, Telus, Motorola, Samsung, LG, Hewlett Packard, Kyocera, Qualcomm, Cisco, nVidia
Developed sales material and competitive analyses and led close cooperation with
operator & OEM technical teams to ensure:
- Compliance with mobile terminal requirements and integration with other operator products
- Seamless terminal integration and an efficient roll-out strategy
- Built commercial and technical relations with Qualcomm leading to several product engagements, incl. Kayak, Brew MP, emerging markets, government & enterprise divisions
- Established San Diego office and operations in the Americas
- Represented Opera as public speaker at business and technical events and trade shows
Worked in a continuous engagement for the EVP of the international product management division of a major global mobile operator:
Developed strategies and conceptual end-to-end designs for non-voice products and
radio access. This included high-level system & network design, evaluation of
options for service offer, outsourcing decisions and optimization technologies
for mobile data services:
- Web browsing (first service introduction in market)
- Consumer email & PIM offerings
- Music download (first service introduction in market)
- Operator portal, download & content management system, DRM
- Instant messaging
- Video & picture messaging (initiated by first Smartphone introduction in market)
- Radio access strategy for UMTS, GPRS, EDGE
- Data radio access: circuit- vs. packet-switched
- Service pricing
- Blackberry, intranet access, laptop datacard offerings
- Managed multi-national product & technology evaluation and implementation projects, incl. project plan development, monitoring, reporting to Senior Management and coordination of communication with international subsidiaries
Evaluated options to consolidate the business.
Successfully planned and managed a turn-around resulting in higher revenues and a cost reduction of over 30%:
- Managed day-to-day operations and assured short-term liquidity, developed and implemented measures for a fast turn-around. Unprofitable business units and subsidiaries were closed
- Reorganized management and organizational structures, optimized core processes, implemented quality and risk management as well as controlling and reporting to better meet market imperatives
- Developed a corporate vision and a deployment strategy
Engaged in several national and international client projects:
- Conducted commercial and technical due diligence of e-business companies in preparation for IPO
- Developed a methodology for commercial and technical due diligence in e-business
- Developed conceptual designs, implemented and rolled out e-business applications
Conducted commercial and technical due diligence in preparation for the IPO of the following companies:
- Global Internet music retailer, Berlin/New York, NY
- Global Internet matchmaking service, Los Angeles, CA
- Internet information portal company, Düsseldorf, Germany
- Internet auction company, Düsseldorf, Germany
Assisted in deploying a customer management system. The project included business process design/optimization, software selection, system implementation and rollout of a web based solution for contact management, lead/opportunity management and a projects/engagements database linked to a SAP-system.
Financial Advisory Services Company, Reutlingen, Germany
Built a virtual company to provide financial consulting for stock companies and IPOs. Conducted business process optimization, designed the supporting IT-infrastructure, selected hard- and software.
KPMG Consulting, Germany
Optimized controlling and forecasting processes, programmed and managed rollout of a workflow supporting software with one underlying company-wide database.
Intershop 'enfinity Early Adopter Program', Jena, Germany
Developed a connection to SAP's iDOC interface utilizing cXML used by the electronic commerce solution 'enfinity' as data format. The project was presented by KPMG at the technology conference 'Systems' in Munich.
Designed and programmed the first car trade portal in the German market. The project won:
- German Federal Department of Commerce's 'Silver Award of Electronic Commerce '97'
- 'IBM E-Business Award, 2. Prize'
MaK Motoren GmbH
A Caterpillar Company
Installed, configured and administrated client/server and network infrastructure.
German Weather Service
Programmed online presentation and visualization of weather data.
COMCITY Regional Concept
Designed and programmed Internet presentation toolkit as basis for an ISP franchise business model.